Encyclopedias and Dictionaries
- Authoritative articles on all aspects of the visual arts: painting, sculpture, graphic arts, architecture, decorative arts, and photography.
- A great place to begin your research, Gale eBooks offers thousands of authoritative articles published in academic encyclopedias, and written by subject experts. Gale eBooks provides information you can not only trust, but cite in a paper as well. Formerly called GVRL: Gale Virtual Reference Library.
- The Dictionary of Art byCall Number: N31 .D5 1996ISBN: 9780195170689Publication Date: 2003-02-11Boasting well over 6,000 contributors from 12 countries, the Dictionary offers its readers authoritative and comprehensive global coverage. A resource for both art and cultural studies, the Dictionary serves as a unique guide to all the visual arts: painting, sculpture, architecture, photography, drawing, printmaking, as well as the decorative arts. The Dictionary ranges far both geographically and historically; it features unparalleled coverage of Africa, Southeast Asia, Central Asia and Mongolia, China, India, the Islamic world, Japan, Korea, Native North America, Pacific and Aboriginal Australia, Pre-Columbian America, Ancient Egypt, Ancient Greece, the Ancient Near East, and Ancient Rome. Providing depth as well as breadth, The Dictionary of Art examines important art forms and key issues of design, taste, function, and patronage, illuminating them in light of the cultural context in which they developed.
- The Penguin Concise Dictionary of Art History byCall Number: N5300 .F64 2000ISBN: 0140514201Publication Date: 2001-12-01The Penguin Concise Dictionary of Art History has more than 1500 entries on artists and architects from ancient times to the present, setting works, movements, and styles into their cultural contexts.
- The Oxford Companion to Western Art (Ebook) byCall Number: N5300ISBN: 9780198662037Publication Date: 2001-11-22This work replaces Harold Osborne's Oxford Companion to Art (1970), which has been continuously in print for thirty years. Though originally commissioned as a new edition of Osborne's book, it is effectively a completely new work, planned and written afresh for new generations of art lovers.
- The Queer Encyclopedia of the Visual Arts byCall Number: N72.H64 Q44 2004ISBN: 9781573441919Publication Date: 2004-05-26120 b/w Illustrations, bibliography and indexes. The editors of glbtq.com present a comprehensive work showcasing the enormous contribution of gay, lesbian, transgender and queer artists to painting, drawing, photography, printmaking, sculpture and architecture. International in scope, the volume contains over 200 detailed entries written by some of the most accomplished scholars in their fields. Included are profiles of significant artists; overviews of artistic eras and movements; and articles discussing subjects such as the representation of androgyny and AIDS.