Anti-Racism, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion in Business and in the Workplace
- Answering Your Questions on Race in the WorkplaceThis is a PBS News Hour program on talking about race in the workplace. Featuring Raël Nelson James, the Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion at The Bridgespan Group, and PBS NewsHour's Stephanie Sy.
- Business Case for Racial Equity: A Strategy for GrowthA report by W.E. Kellogg on the economic impact of the disparities faced by people of color.
- Creating Inclusive Entrepreneurial EcosystemsAn article from Nasdaq about how to make entrepreneurship more inclusive.
- DisabilityIN Resource LibraryThis is a collection of articles and reports on disability and neurodiversity in the workplace, including the Disability Equality Index report.
- Diversity and InclusionMcKinsey & Company reports on workplace diversity issues including gender, gender identity, race, and ethnicity.
- Diversity Wins: How Inclusion MattersA report by McKinsey & Company on the numerous and important benefits of diversity in business, and the progress of workplaces in diversity work. Click the PDF link to download the complete report.
- The Missing Entrepreneurs 2021: Policies for Inclusive Entrepreneurship and Self-EmploymentThe sixth in a series of reports that look at the obstacles facing underrepresented groups in self-employment and entrepreneurship, and how they can be overcome with public policy.
- Reckoning, Repair, and Change: How Business Leaders Can More Effectively Advance Racial Equity and Competitive AdvantageDownload report free with registration. How to turn antiracist promises and initiatives into real, lasting change.
Articles on Workplace Diversity
- FusionFusion allows you to search, in one place, the majority of the library’s books, articles, videos, etc. It includes all the materials in our library catalog Ignacio, as well as the content of the majority of our many databases.
- ProQuest One BusinessA comprehensive business database containing millions of full-text items across scholarly and popular periodicals, newspapers, market research reports, dissertations, books, videos and more. Includes the full text of the Wall Street Journal. Formerly called ABI/INFORM Collection
- Ethnic NewsWatchEthnic NewsWatch covers 1990 to present and includes newspapers, magazines, and journals of the ethnic and minority press, providing researchers access to essential, often overlooked perspectives. The publications offer both national and regional coverage
Films and Videos on Diversity Issues
- DocuseekDocuseek provides social-issue and environmental films from leading documentary film distributors.
- Films On DemandFilms On Demand delivers more than 90,000 educational online videos ideal for students and faculty.
- Filmakers Library OnlineFilmakers Library Online provides award-winning documentaries with relevance across the curriculum—race and gender studies, human rights, globalization and global studies, multiculturalism, international relations, criminal justice, the environment, bioethics, health, political science and current events, psychology, arts, literature, and more.
- Asian Film OnlineAsian Film Online offers a view of Asian culture as seen through the lens of the independent Asian filmmaker. Through a selection of hundreds of narrative feature films, documentaries and shorts curated by film scholars and critics, the collection offers highly relevant perspectives and insights onto themes relevant across Asia, including modernity, globalization, female agency, social and political unrest, and cultural and sexual identity.
- Black Studies in VideoContains over 500 hours of seminal documentaries, powerful interviews, and previously unavailable archival footage surveying the black experience. Black Studies in Video features the SNCC Legacy Video Collection, a series of over fifty hours of formal addresses, panel discussions, and programs that took place at the 50th anniversary conference and reunion commemorating the founding of the Student Nonviolent Coordinating Committee.
- LGBT Studies in VideoA cinematic survey of the lives of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender people as well as the cultural and political evolution of the LGBT community. This collection features documentaries, interviews, archival footage, and select feature films exploring LGBT history, gay culture and subcultures, civil rights, marriage equality, LGBT families, AIDS, transgender issues, religious perspectives on homosexuality, global comparative experiences, and other topics.
Data and Statistics
- StatistaEasy to use statistics search engine with access to more than a million statistics and facts.
- Federal Reserve: Recent Trends in Wealth-Holding by Race and EthnicityThis report from the Federal Reserve shows that the long-standing and substantial wealth disparities between families of different racial and ethnic groups have changed little in the past few years. Wealth losses during the Great Recession, and the magnitude and timing of the recovery, also varied substantially across families grouped by race and ethnicity.
- Racial and Ethnic Groups Data LinksIncludes specific links highlighting demographic and business data on racial and ethnic groups. From the US Census Bureau.
- Bureau of Labor StatisticsProvides statistics on labor and information on occupations and industries in the U.S. including employment, hours, earnings, consumer and producer price indexes, productivity, compensation and collective bargaining, injury and illness, and some international data as well. Also provides occupational and industry information.
Books and Ebooks on Business and Workplace Diversity
- How to Be an Ally: Actions You Can Take for a Stronger, Happier Workplace byHow to Be an Ally humanizes diversity and inclusion, and facilitates greater empathy and understanding between people of all backgrounds, helping to build diverse teams and ensure everyone on your team is included, heard, understood, and acknowledged.
- The Sum of Us byOne of today's most insightful and influential thinkers offers a powerful exploration of inequality and the lesson that generations of Americans have failed to learn: Racism has a cost for everyone--not just for people of color.
- It's Time to Talk about Race at Work byIt's time the business world got the actionable, impactful, no-cost strategies needed to increase diversity and inclusion in the workplace Many white leaders want to create change but don't know how to do so appropriately and effectively. How do you know where the blind spots are that can create obstacles for people of color? Your intentions may be sincere and heartfelt, but intentions aren't enough.
- Unbias: addressing unconscious bias at work byLet the CEO of Rework Work help you understand diversity, equity, and inclusion concepts to actively remove bias from the workplace Dismantling unhealthy workplaces involves much more than talking about it, and more than charts, graphs, and statistics--it requires action.
- Gender Diversity and Non-Binary Inclusion in the Workplace byHelping to create inclusive work environments for non-binary people, this book builds knowledge of non-binary identities and provides practical solutions to many of the basic workplace problems this group faces.
- Subtle Acts of Exclusion: How to understand, identify, and stop microaggressions byThe first practical, accessible, nonjudgmental handbook helps individuals and organizations recognize and prevent microaggressions so that all employees can feel the sense of belonging in the workplace that they deserve.
- Right Within byThe essential self-help book for women of color to heal--and thrive--in the workplace, ensuring that we can all, finally, rise together.
- All Are Welcome: How to Build a Real Workplace Culture of Inclusion That Delivers Results bySeize the competitive edge, increase innovation, and do right by people through building equity and diversity into your organizational DNA. Studies continuously prove that companies with more diversity in their ranks are more innovative, serve expanded marketplaces, and perform better financially; however, most companies have yet to develop and implement effective diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
- The Business of Race: How to Create and Sustain an Antiracist Workplace--And Why It's Actually Good for Business byThis book provides readers with the courage and tools to openly, honestly, and effectively address the deeply complex, emotional and intimidating dynamic of race and racism in the workplace.
- Age Diversity in the Workplace byWorkforce ageing and increasing age diversity are not transient phenomena, and their implications are compounded by the combination of several global trends like workers' increased mobility and migration, as well as increasing gender and ethnic differences. This book examines the role and contribution of HR practices in forging an age-inclusive workplace.
- Building a More Inclusive Workplace. Diversification isn't all about hiring, but it's a good place to start byThis is part of a 5 part video series to learn what you can do to build a more inclusive workplace, how to have difficult but necessary conversations about DEI at your workplace, which metrics really matter, and how to hire and mentor with DEI as a central part of your strategy.
- Building a More Inclusive Workplace. How is my company doing on DEI? 5 things to look at to figure it out. byThis is part of a 5 part video series to learn what you can do to build a more inclusive workplace, how to have difficult but necessary conversations about DEI at your workplace, which metrics really matter, and how to hire and mentor with DEI as a central part of your strategy.
- Building a More Inclusive Workplace. How to start talking about race at work byThis is part of a 5 part video series to learn what you can do to build a more inclusive workplace, how to have difficult but necessary conversations about DEI at your workplace, which metrics really matter, and how to hire and mentor with DEI as a central part of your strategy.
- Building a More Inclusive Workplace Week 2 Inclusion--Centering the Most Marginalized Voices byThis is part of a 5 part video series to learn what you can do to build a more inclusive workplace, how to have difficult but necessary conversations about DEI at your workplace, which metrics really matter, and how to hire and mentor with DEI as a central part of your strategy.
- Building a More Inclusive Workplace. Mentorship: How to build a program in service of DEI byThis is part of a 5 part video series to learn what you can do to build a more inclusive workplace, how to have difficult but necessary conversations about DEI at your workplace, which metrics really matter, and how to hire and mentor with DEI as a central part of your strategy.
- On the Persistence of the Black-White Unemployment Gap (Center for American Progress)This policy brief provides unemployment data and solutions to narrow unemployment gaps between African Americans and whites.
- How Capitalism Underdeveloped Black America: Problems in Race, Political Economy, and SocietyMarable offers profound insight into the deeply intertwined problems of race and class in the United States historically and today.
by Nicola Andrews Last Updated Jan 12, 2023 159 views this year
White Privilege Resource Guide
by Amy Gilgan Last Updated Jul 20, 2022 501 views this year
Citing Your Sources
Whenever you do research, you will need to cite the information sources that you use. Most business scholars use APA style. Here are some tools that can help you with this task:
Gleeson Library's guide to citations: How? Why? When?
- APA 7th Edition Citations for Business SourcesAn excellent guide to using APA 7th edition style for popular business sources. Scroll through the guide to find an example for the business source you are using in your research. Compiled by librarians Naomi Schemm, Marcia Dellenbach, Zachary Grisham, Marianne Hageman, Natalia Tingle, Matt Trowbridge, and Amanda Wheatley
- Citing Business Databases in APA: Michigan State University GuideThis guide was created to help with citing some common business databases
- Citing Business Databases from the University of North Carolina at GreensboroThis guide has some additional business database examples in APA style.
- MLA Business Citations: Youngstown State UniversityScroll down the page to see citations for specific business web sites, reports, and databases cited in MLA style.
- Purdue OWLOur favorite style guide web site is the OWL from Purdue University.
- RefWorksRefWorks allows users to create personal databases to manage, store, and share the information citations/references. Users can automatically insert references from their database into their papers and generate formatted bibliographies and manuscripts in seconds. Create an account using your USF email address.
There are several ways to obtain assistance with your research. Read on!
You have your very own librarian! She is Penny Scott, and you can contact her for help.
Her contact information is: email: email@example.com * phone: 415-422-5389
It is best to email ahead, or make an appointment, to make sure she is available! Appointments are available virtually via Zoom, or in person, and are great for groups or individuals. If you don't see a time that works for you, email Penny.
If Penny is not available, or any time you need help, you can always get help, just Ask a Librarian!
You can also take a look at our Research Guides on many topics!