This guide provides resources for professor Andrei Antokhin's class: Performing Texts from Religious Literature (THRS 357) This page focuses on resources specific to the assignments in that classs. On the left are pages for general theology and religious studies and that that focus on particular religions, and/or themes.
The thematic pages are under construction. More resources are being added and new thematic pages are being created. Please schedule an appointment if you need assistance finding resources for your topic.
Journal article search tips
When looking for a specific text or an article: Enter the full title in the first search box. Select Title as the search type. The search types are typically in a drop down menu on the right of the search box. (Usually the search type defaults as a keyword search.)
When looking for articles about a specific text: Put the full title in quotation marks in the first search box. Select keyword as the search type. additional search boxes can be used to narrow to articles focused on the text and specific themes.
When you have found a good article, review the bibliography for other possible good sources. Alternatively you can use Google Scholar and its cited by feature to locate articles that cite the article you originally found.
If we do not have a specific article you are looking for, use Inter Library Loan
Religion Article Databases
- EBSCO ReligionEbsco Religion allows you to search the following databases simultaneously:
ATLA Religion Database
Catholic Periodical and Literature Index
Index to Jewish Periodicals
New Testament Abstracts
Old Testament Abstracts
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials PLUSATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials PLUS provides coverage from 1949 and retrospective indexing for several journal issues as far back as the nineteenth century. Full-text content is included for more than 425 journals.
- Religious and Theological AbstractsProvides summaries of articles appearing in scholarly journals in the fields of Religion and Theology, including Christian, Jewish, and other World religions.
Humanities Article Databases
- Humanities SourceHumanities Source is designed to meet the needs of students, researchers and educators interested in all aspects of the humanities. The collection includes full text for more than 1,400 journals, with citations to over 3.5 million articles, including book reviews, and indexing back to 1907.
- JSTORFull text of older issues of journals. Access includes Arts & Sciences I-XV, Business I Collection, Health & General Sciences Collection, and the Life Sciences Collection. To support online learning, JSTOR has made additional journal and primary source archival collections, 26 public health journals and over 6,000 articles related to COVID-19, openly accessible through June 30, 2023.
- FusionFusion allows you to search, in one place, the majority of the library’s books, articles, videos, etc. It includes all the materials in our library catalog Ignacio, as well as the content of the majority of our many databases.
- Google ScholarArticles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites. Click "more" below to customize Google Scholar to access USF library journal subscriptions.
Book Search Tips
I recommend starting your search with Ignacio. Ignacio is the catalog of books held by Gleeson Library. The next step is searching Link + a consortium of 40 libraries in California, we can get the item in about 3 days. If you want to search for books that exist on a topic use World Cat. World Cat is a Union catalog, in other words, the catalog of thousands of libraries all at once. Once you have identified a book in World Cat, see if we have it in either Ignacio or Link+. If not available through these systems use Inter Library Loan. Books via Inter Library Loan take longer than articles or book chapters so plan ahead.
- Ignacio: Library CatalogThe library catalog lets you search across the holdings of Gleeson Library and Zief Law Library, including books, videos, and other materials. Alumni and visitor access.
- Link+Search across more than 60 libraries in California and Nevada, and request available books to be delivered to Gleeson Library in 2-4 business days.
- WorldCatWorldCat.org lets you search the collections of libraries in your community and thousands more around the world.