Welcome to this research guide for Catholic resources. There is a large amount of information and research about Catholicism and the Catholic Church available from Gleeson Library and on the web. This guide is an introduction to some of those resources. For more in-depth research, contact us and a librarian can help you with your research.
Websites of some popular Catholic magazines and news sources.
- Catholic San FranciscoThe official newspaper of the Archdiocese of San Francisco
- The Catholic News ServiceCreated in 1920 by US Bishops to "provide comprehensive coverage of the church."
- The National Catholic ReporterFounded in 1964 to provide an "independent voice for Catholics."
- America: The Jesuit Review"Founded by the Society of Jesus in 1901 as a Catholic weekly review of faith and culture."
- CommonwealCommonweal Magazine was founded in 1924 as a forum for Catholic principles and debate on faith, politics, and culture
Scholarly journals, magazines and newspapers
- EBSCO ReligionEbsco Religion allows you to search several theology databases at the same time.
When searching for books in Ignacio, the USF library catalog, you can search individuals like Dorothy Day or Francis of Assisi, or you can do "keyword" searches like Catholic Church and sacraments, or you can use broad subject terms, like Catholic Church and you will see subdivisions for the subject Catholic Church. Link+ gives you access to millions of books that you can request from other libraries.
- Ignacio: Library CatalogThe library catalog lets you search across the holdings of Gleeson Library and Zief Law Library, including books, videos, and other materials. Alumni and visitor access.
- Link+Search across more than 60 libraries in California and Nevada, and request available books to be delivered to Gleeson Library in 2-4 business days.
Official Church documents
- The VaticanThis is the official website of The Vatican, a good source for the text of Church documents.
- The United States Conference of Catholic BishopsThe Conference of Catholic Bishops from the United States and the Virgin Islands, a good source for the text of their documents.
Catholic Reference Sources
- Catechism of the Catholic ChurchCall Number: BX1751.2.A1. P9 no.5-109Publication Date: 2000In Gleeson Library on the lower level
- New Catholic EncyclopediaPublication Date: 2002An ebook version of the standard New Catholic Encyclopedia
- Encyclopedia of Catholic Social Thought, Social Science, and Social Policy byCall Number: BX1753 .E595 2007Publication Date: 2007In Gleeson Library on the lower level
Catholic Research Resources Alliance
The University of San Francisco is part of the Catholic Research Resources Alliance, which is a group of institutions whose goal is to "provide enduring global access to Catholic research resources."
- Catholic News ArchiveThis list is being compiled by the Catholic Research Resources Alliance with the help of all in support of the goal to provide access to all extant Catholic newspapers in North America.