Journal articles and more
- Communication SourceDeveloped from a merger of the EBSCO databases Communication and Mass Media Complete and Communication Abstracts (formerly published by Sage), this is the premier research database for Communication Studies. This comprehensive resource offers worldwide full-text content pertaining to communication, linguistics, rhetoric and discourse, speech-language pathology, media studies and related fields and includes many unique sources previously not available.
- ComAbstractsThe ComAbstracts database contains abstracts of articles and books published in the primary professional literature of the communication(s) field as well as bibliographic records.
- APA PsycInfoAPA PsycInfo is the American Psychological Association's renowned resource for abstracts of scholarly journal articles, book chapters, books, and dissertations. It is the largest resource devoted to peer-reviewed literature in behavioral science and mental health, and contains over 3 million citations and summaries dating as far back as the 1600s, with one of the highest DOI matching rates in the publishing industry. Ninety-nine percent of its content is peer-reviewed. Formerly called PsycINFO.
- SocINDEX with Full TextSocINDEX with Full Text is the world's most comprehensive and highest quality sociology research database. The database features more than 2.1 million records with subject headings from a 20,000+ term sociological thesaurus designed by subject experts and expert lexicographers.
- FusionFusion allows you to search, in one place, the majority of the library’s books, articles, videos, etc. It includes all the materials in our library catalog Ignacio, as well as the content of the majority of our many databases.
- Google ScholarArticles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites. Click "more" below to customize Google Scholar to access USF library journal subscriptions.
- Project MUSEHundreds of full text journals in the humanities and social sciences.
- JSTORFull text of older issues of journals. Access includes Arts & Sciences I-XV, Business I Collection, Health & General Sciences Collection, and the Life Sciences Collection. To support online learning, JSTOR has made additional journal and primary source archival collections, 26 public health journals and over 6,000 articles related to COVID-19, openly accessible through June 30, 2023.
- Oxford Bibliographies: CommunicationAn annotated bibliography of the best scholarship in the discipline.
- Oxford Research Encyclopedia: CommunicationAn encyclopedia of peer-reviewed and regularly updated articles covering the discipline.
- Encyclopedia of Communication and InformationPublication Date: 2002Provides a comprehensive overview of universal modes of communication, the media used to communicate, theories of communication and their implications, careers in communications and information, and biographies of notable figures in the field. Organized for the general reader and designed to complement social studies, communications, and information systems curricula.
- International Encyclopedia of Intercultural CommunicationAddresses issues, theories, and concepts that have substantively contributed to the development of intercultural communication theory and research. Five themes of intercultural communication: cross-cultural communication, cultural communication, intergroup communication, intercultural training, and critical intercultural communication, address issues of ethnicity and race in intercultural communication as an integral part of each thematic area. This encyclopedia features the perspective of communication scholars as well as cross-cultural psychology, cultural anthropology, and social psychology.
- Encyclopedia of Health CommunicationPublication Date: 2014Provides comprehensive coverage of health communication including such topics as theories and research traditions; evaluation and assessment; cultural complexities; high risk and special populations; message design and campaigns; provider/patient interaction issues; media issues; and more.
- Gale eBooksA great place to begin your research, Gale eBooks offers thousands of authoritative articles published in academic encyclopedias, and written by subject experts. Gale eBooks provides information you can not only trust, but cite in a paper as well. Formerly called GVRL: Gale Virtual Reference Library.
- Ignacio: Library CatalogThe library catalog lets you search across the holdings of Gleeson Library and Zief Law Library, including books, videos, and other materials.
- Link+Search across more than 60 libraries in California and Nevada, and request available books to be delivered to Gleeson Library in 2-4 business days.
- Hathi Trust Digital LibraryHathiTrust is a collaborative of academic and research libraries preserving 17+ million digitized items. HathiTrust offers reading access to the fullest extent allowable by U.S. copyright law, HathiTrust members steward the collection — the largest set of digitized books managed by academic and research libraries. Gleeson Library is not a HathiTrust member but anyone can create a guest account
- Open LibraryOpen Library is an open, editable library catalog, building towards a web page for every book ever published. Read, borrow, and discover more than 3 million books.
- WorldCatWorldCat.org lets you search the collections of libraries in your community and thousands more around the world. Excellent for identifying resources. Access the discovered resources through other databases or through InterLibrary Loan.
Selected Web Resources
- International Communication AssociationICA is an academic association for scholars interested in the study, teaching, and application of all aspects of human and mediated communication.
- National Communication AssociationThe National Communication Association advances Communication as the discipline that studies all forms, modes, media, and consequences of communication through humanistic, social scientific, and aesthetic inquiry.
- Western States Communication AssociationWestern States Communication Association is an educational association of scholars, teachers, and students of communication.
- Eastern Communication AssociationThe Eastern Communication Association (ECA) is a professional organization of scholars, teachers, and students of Communication Studies. The ECA was initially established in 1910 and continues as the oldest professional communication association in the United States
- Central States Communication AssociationThe mission of Central States Communication Association (CSCA) is to unite and educate people with both an affinity to the central region of the United States and a scholarly interest in all areas of communication for promotion of their mutual goals and advancement of their field.
- Southern States Communication AssociationOur purpose is to promote the study, criticism, research, teaching, and application of the artistic, humanistic, and scientific principles of communication. SSCA, a not-for-profit organization, exists for educational, scientific, and literary purposes only.