Welcome to this research guide for Professional Communication resources. There is a large amount of information and research about Professional Communcation available from USF's Gleeson Library and on the web. This guide is an introduction to some of those resources. For more in-depth research, contact us and a librarian can help you with your research.
Scholarly Journals, Magazines, and Newspapers
- Fusion allows you to search, in one place, the majority of the library’s books, articles, videos, etc., in our library catalog Ignacio, as well as the majority of our many databases.
- Articles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites. Click "more" below to customize Google Scholar to access USF library journal subscriptions.
- Communication Source is the key database for finding journal articles and conference proceedings in the field of Communication Studies
- This is the world's definitive scholarly business database, providing the leading collection of bibliographic and full text content. As part of the comprehensive coverage offered by this database, indexing and abstracts for the most important scholarly business journals back as far as 1886 are included.
- A comprehensive business database containing millions of full-text items across scholarly and popular periodicals, newspapers, market research reports, dissertations, books, videos and more. Includes the full text of the Wall Street Journal. Formerly called ABI/INFORM Collection
In addition to these databases, Communication Yearbook is an annual publication that publishes state-of-the-art literature reviews and essays on communication issues. Communication Yearbook is available in print in the Gleeson Library collection.
Gleeson Library has approximately 1 million books, about half a million ebooks and half a million books in print. For the print books, there are two ways you can access them: (1) You can come to Gleeson Library and check them out in person or (2) You can request the book from Ignacio, the USF Library catalog, and it will be mailed to your home. If you do want it mailed to your home, check with the Gleeson Access Services Department to be sure your record is set for mail delivery. With our ebook collections, you can view them online immediately. We have ebooks on Strategic Communication, Health Communication, and Technical Communication that you can read online. Searching Ignacio, the USF Library catalog, shows you books available here at USF. Searching Link+ gives you access to millions of books in other libraries that you can request.
- The library catalog lets you search across the holdings of Gleeson Library and Zief Law Library, including books, videos, and other materials. Alumni and visitor access.
- Search across more than 60 libraries in California and Nevada, and request available books to be delivered to Gleeson Library in 2-4 business days.
Getting books and articles not at USF
When you are looking for a book and want to determine if we have it at USF, check Ignacio or Link+ and request it.
When you are looking for an article and want to determine if we have it at USF, check Journal Finder. Journal Finder lets you search the title of any journal and if we have it, it will tell you which database has which years.
If USF doesn't have the book or article you are looking for, you can request it on InterLibrary Loan's ILLIAD service. Log in, submit your request, and we will try to get it from another library.
Encyclopedias can be good starting points in research for getting an overview of topics
- Encyclopedia of Communication Theory byPublication Date: 2009
- Encyclopedia of Health Communication byPublication Date: 2014