There are many bible commentaries in Gleeson in the stacks on the lower level. Commentaries for the entire bible have call numbers beginning BS485 - BS491. You can browse the stacks to find different commentaries.
Commentaries on only one book of the Bible:
If you are looking for commentaries just on one specific book in the bible, you can search our library catalog with the subject Bible [name of the book you are looking for] commentaries and that will show you commentaries just on that book in the bible.
Most commentaries only on the book of Matthew begin with the call number BS 2575
Most commentaries only on the book of Mark begin with the call number BS 2585
Most commentaries only on the book of Luke begin with the call number BS 2595
Most commentaries only on the book of John begin with the call number BS 2615
Books with these call numbers are all on the lower level of Gleeson Library.
Finding bibles in print at Gleeson Library
Most English language bibles in print at Gleeson Library can be found on the lower level of the library, beginning with the call number BS185 - BS198. You can browse the stacks in that area to find specific bibles.
Some selected bible translations
- Anchor Bible/Anchor Yale BibleCall Number: BS192Publication Date: 1956 - ongoingA multivolume set with extensive notes and commentary, in contemporary English.
- Jerusalem BibleCall Number: BS195 .J4 1966aPublication Date: 1966In contemporary English
- The New Scofield Reference BibleCall Number: BS185 1967 .N4Publication Date: 1967King James Translation (Shakespearean English)
- New Oxford Annotated BibleCall Number: BS191.5 .A1 1994Publication Date: 1994"New Revised Standard" translation (contemporary English)
- The New Jerusalem Bible byCall Number: BS195 .N375 1999Publication Date: 1999In contemporary English
- The Catholic Study Bible byCall Number: BS192.3.A1 1990 .N48Publication Date: 1990The New American Bible translation (contemporary English)
- Ignatius Bible (2nd Catholic Edition)Call Number: BS191.A1 2006 .S26Publication Date: 2006The Revised Standard Translation (a revision of the King James translation)
- The Jewish Study Bible byCall Number: BS895 .J4 2004Publication Date: 2004In contemporary English
Bible Dictionaries and Atlases
- The Anchor Bible Dictionary byCall Number: BS 440. A54 1992Publication Date: 1998
- The Cultural Dictionary of the Bible byCall Number: BS440 .P653 1999Publication Date: 1999
- The HarperCollins Bible Dictionary byCall Number: BS 440 .H235 1996Publication Date: 1996
- The New Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible byCall Number: BS 440 .N443 2006Publication Date: 2009
- Oxford Bible Atlas byCall Number: BS 630 .096 1984Publication Date: 1985
- Bible Atlas byCall Number: G 2230 .A2 1993Publication Date: 1993
Bible Reference Sources
- EBR offers the current state of knowledge on the origins and development of the Bible in Judaism and Christianity. EBR also documents the history of the Bible's reception in the Christian churches and the Jewish Diaspora; in Islam, in other religious traditions, as well as in literature, art, music, and film.
Articles in journals and magazines
You can search for articles about the Bible in this database, which contains the contents of New Testament Abstracts. You can search by topics, like Social Justice and Jesus, or search a specific verse, like "John 3:16"
- Ebsco Religion allows you to search the following databases simultaneously:
ATLA Religion Database
Catholic Periodical and Literature Index
Index to Jewish Periodicals
New Testament Abstracts
Old Testament Abstracts
A Bible concordance is an alphabetical list of the principal words used in the Bible, listing where in the Bible they are used.
- Strongest Strong's Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible byCall Number: BS425 .S8 2001bPublication Date: 2001
- Nelson's Complete Concordance of the New American BibleCall Number: BS425 .E4Publication Date: 1977