Welcome to this research guide for Jewish Studies & Social Justice. Here we introduce you to some of the resources available to you from Gleeson Library and on the open web. For more in-depth research, contact us and a librarian can help you with your research.
Scholarly journals and magazines
Starting your search with these databases could help you find articles on Jewish Studies topics.
- EBSCO ReligionEbsco Religion allows you to search the following databases simultaneously:
ATLA Religion Database
Catholic Periodical and Literature Index
Index to Jewish Periodicals
New Testament Abstracts
Old Testament Abstracts
- JSTORFull text of older issues of journals. Access includes Arts & Sciences I-XV, Business I Collection, Health & General Sciences Collection, and the Life Sciences Collection. To support online learning, JSTOR has made additional journal and primary source archival collections, 26 public health journals and over 6,000 articles related to COVID-19, openly accessible through June 30, 2023.
- Project MUSEHundreds of full text journals in the humanities and social sciences.
- Oxford Bibliographies: Jewish StudiesAn annotated bibliography of the best scholarship in the discipline.
- ATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials PLUSATLA Religion Database with ATLASerials PLUS provides coverage from 1949 and retrospective indexing for several journal issues as far back as the nineteenth century. Full-text content is included for more than 425 journals.
- Google ScholarArticles, theses, books, abstracts and court opinions from academic publishers, professional societies, online repositories, universities and other web sites. Click "more" below to customize Google Scholar to access USF library journal subscriptions.
U.S. and International News Articles
- Nexis UniReplaces LexisNexis Academic.
More than 15,000 news, business, and legal sources from LexisNexis—including U.S. Supreme Court decisions dating back to 1790.
- Access World NewsThrough nearly 7000 news sources, find diverse global, local, regional, and national perspectives on topics related to controversial issues, the environment, health, education, science, the arts, literature, business, economics, criminal justice, and more.
- Ethnic NewsWatchEthnic NewsWatch covers 1990 to present and includes newspapers, magazines, and journals of the ethnic and minority press, providing researchers access to essential, often overlooked perspectives. The publications offer both national and regional coverage
Search Ignacio, the USF Library catalog, to find books and videos in print and electronic format.
Search Link+ for access to millions of books in other libraries that you can request, free.
- Ignacio: Library CatalogThe library catalog lets you search across the holdings of Gleeson Library and Zief Law Library, including books, videos, and other materials. Alumni and visitor access.
In addition to books, the library offers a rich collection of fiction and nonfiction video content, in streaming format and DVD.
Search the catalog or browse the collection for Jewish studies-related video.
- Link+Search across more than 60 libraries in California and Nevada, and request available books to be delivered to Gleeson Library in 2-4 business days.
Internet Reference Sources
- Jewish Language Research WebsiteIncludes links to dictionaries, courses, music, video, literature archives and much more.
- Sefaria Project: A Living Library of Jewish TextsA free, open source digital library of Jewish texts and their interconnections, in Hebrew and in translation.
Tanakh, Rabbinical Literature, and Jewish Law
The foundational Jewish texts and commentaries in many translations are available on the lower level of Gleeson Library. A few of these are listed below. Search the catalog for more.
Early and modern translations and interpretations of the Tanakh (Old Testament) are at BS701-BS1830. Talmudic literature is found at BM495-BM518. Halacha (Jewish law) is at BM520-BM523.7, and Kaballah is found at BM525-BM526.
- Tanakh, the Holy Scriptures byCall Number: BS895 J4 1985ISBN: 0827602529Publication Date: 1985
- The Talmud, Steinsaltz editionCall Number: BM499.5 .E4 1989ISBN: 9780679407690Publication Date: 1989-
- An Introduction to the History and Sources of Jewish Law byCall Number: BM520.5 I57 1996ISBN: 0198262264Publication Date: 1996