Use the Save to RefWorks browser tool to add references and full-text to RefWorks from websites other than library databases. Most library databases allow you to directly export to RefWorks. Install Save to RefWorks.
How do I install Save to RefWorks if the drag and drop is not working?
Instead of dragging and dropping the Save to RefWorks bookmarklet to the toolbar, you can add it manually by following these instructions.
Microsoft Word Integration
RefWorks offers an add-in for Microsoft Word that allows you to place any citation from your RefWorks account into a Word document. It also creates and automatically updates a bibliography or works cited page.
For Macs with Word 2016
- Open Word and click "Insert" > "Add-ins" > "Store"
- In the box that appears, search for "RefWorks"
- Click on "RefWorks Citation Manager" then "Trust It" in the box that pops up
- The RefWorks Citation Manager will launch within Word, and a panel will slide out from the right side of your document; login using your RefWorks login info
For All PC Versions and Macs Running Word 2011 or Earlier
- In RefWorks, select "Tools" > "Write-N-Cite"
- A pop-up will open; in the "Downloads" section click the link for the correct operating system, then start the installation and follow any on-screen instructions
- After installing the plugin, a RefWorks ribbon appears in Microsoft Word
- In the ribbon, select "Log In" to log into RefWorks; login using your RefWorks login info
- Synchronizing data with your RefWorks account may take a few moments, especially on your first login
Please note: RefWorks only works with the locally installed version of MS Word. It will not work with the cloud version.
Instructions for installing Word locally:
- Download Microsoft 365 for free from the USF eStore
- Select "Personal Software Purchase" and login
- Under the "Students" tab, select "Microsoft"
- Select "Office 365 ProPlus" product (no cost) and complete the checkout process
- Go to www.office.com and sign in
- You will see your Office dashboard - click the small "Install Office" button on the top right, then select the “Office 365 Apps” option from the dropdown
- This will initiate a download - open the downloaded file and proceed with the installation; it will take rough 10-30 min depending on your computer and internet speed
Google Docs Integration
RefWorks offers an add-on for Google Docs that allows you to place any citation from your RefWorks account into a Google document. It also creates and automatically updates a bibliography or works cited page. Note: add-ons are not available via the Google Docs app on iPad or iPhone; they are only available when using Google Docs in a browser on a computer.
The USFCA G Suite will not allow you to download this add-on from the RefWorks site. You can, however, download and install this add-on directly from the G Suite Marketplace. The easiest way to do this:
- Navigate to Google Docs
- If you are not already logged into your USFCA account, sign in with your myUSF credentials
- Start a new document
- Select "Add-ons" then "Get Add-ons" from the top menu
- Search for "ProQuest RefWorks"
- Select the "+ FREE" button and follow the instructions