Country Background Information
Find background information on countries of interest.
- Europa WorldEuropa World is the online version of the Europa World Year Book, the indispensable source of information on world-wide affairs. First published in 1926, the year book is renowned as one of the world's leading reference works, covering political and economic information in over 250 countries and territories, from Afghanistan to Zimbabwe.
- RAND State StatisticsThis database contains information on California and U.S. public policy issues. The database is divided into three primary sections: 1) California Statistics, also called Databases; 2) Online Library; and 3) What's New. You may also search the entire database and some archived reports.
- CIA World FactbookThe World Factbook provides information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities. Our Reference tab includes: maps of the major world regions, as well as Flags of the World, a Physical Map of the World, a Political Map of the World, a World Oceans map, and a Standard Time Zones of the World map.
Health Data by Country
Find data and statistics about health conditions in a country of interest.
- World Health Organization Country Health DataHealth data and statistics about the 194 World Health Organization member nations.
- Country Health Profiles from the Institute for Health Metrics and EvaluationThe Country Profiles provide an overview of findings from the Global Burden of Disease (GBD). They are based on over 115,000 different data sources used by researchers to produce the most scientifically rigorous estimates possible.
- Global Health: Centers for Disease Control and Protection (CDC)Find information from the CDC on global health security and protection, food and water, immunizations, travelers' health, HIV, TB, Malaria, and other diseases and threats.
- UNICEF dataUNICEF Data: monitoring the situation of children and women globally.
Databases for Epidemiological and Global Health Research
- PubMedPubMed provides access to more than 23 million bibliographic citations primarily drawn from MEDLINE, as well as publisher-supplied citations, in-process and "ahead-of-print" citations.
Using PubMed's Medical Subject Headings (MeSH terms) to locate epidemiological information.
For background information on MeSH, view this brief video. "Epidemiology" is a MeSH subheading that, when combined with the MeSH term for a specific disease, returns articles on the distribution, causative factors and attributes of the disease in a specific population. The MeSH heading "Morbidity" can be combined with other terms to bring back articles about the proportion of patients with a particular disease during a given year, per given unit of population. This term includes the concepts of Incidence and Prevalence, which can also be searched separately.
- CINAHL UltimateCINAHL Ultimate is the definitive resource for nursing and allied health research, providing full text for the most used journals in the CINAHL index. It covers more than 50 nursing specialties and includes quick lessons, evidence-based care sheets, CEU modules and research instruments.
Using CINAHL to find epidemiological information
As is the case with PubMed, "Epidemiology" is a subheading that can be used to find articles about the distribution and frequency of diseases, injuries and other health-related events and their causes in a desired population.
Morbidity and Mortality are also subject headings in CINAHL. For best results use the AND operator to combine these terms with the subject heading for a disease, injury, health-related event or geographical location