2024 Library Database and Journal Cancellations
Gleeson Library | Geschke Learning Resource Center is planning how we will navigate the current budget environment in ways that minimize impacts to students and faculty. While we are still in the planning stages and awaiting more details about the full extent of fiscal year 2024 budget reallocations, one of our strategies is to cancel a selection of our database and journal subscriptions.
In consultation with subject librarians who work with schools, the college and the programs and disciplines in each, we are reviewing cost per use data and other metrics in an effort to identify the cancellations that will have the least impact on teaching and research. With their input and supporting data, we will compile a list of resources which will be canceled over the coming months.
More information about the specific resources being canceled will be available by the start of the fall term.
Access to Resources
Cancellation of these resources does not necessarily mean that you will lose access to the resources that you need for your teaching, research, or studies. By canceling journal and database subscriptions as we’ve described above, we are shifting the model for these resources away from one of ownership to one of access. The information resources you need will still be available to you, but the route to access them may change.
Our Interlibrary Loan service (ILL) will be your go-to source for many canceled resources. By using ILL, you will still be able to access many of the articles you need, but they may be sourced from collections outside USF. Reaching out to your liaison librarian when you need to obtain hard-to-find resources is also essential. Our liaison librarians are here to help you!
The Library has made efforts to minimize impact on student learning, as well as faculty teaching and research. If you have any questions, please let us know.
This list will be continuously updated throughout summer 2023. The final list of cancellations will be available at the start of the fall term.
- Choice Reviews — access ends 1/1/24
- Human Rights Studies Online — access ends 6/1/23
- Iter: Gateway to the Middle Ages and Renaissance — access ends 6/1/23
- Joanna Briggs Institute EBP Database — access 5/1/23
- Johns Hopkins Guide to Literary Theory & Criticism — access ends 7/15/23
- Oxford Music Online / Grove Music — access ends 10/1/23
- ProQuest Historical Newspapers: San Francisco Chronicle, 1865-1922 — access ends 6/1/23
Purchased Online Resources That Will Not Be Updated
- Bergey’s Manual of Systematics of Archaea and Bacteria — no updates for 2024
- Blackwell Encyclopedia of Sociology — no updates for 2024
- Comprehensive Physiology — no updates for 2024
- eLS - Encyclopedia of Life Sciences — no updates for 2024
- Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology — no updates for 2024
- TESOL Encyclopedia of English Language Teaching — no updates for 2024
- Wiley Encyclopedia of Electrical and Electronics Engineering — no updates for 2024
- Wiley StatsRef: Statistics Reference Online — no updates for 2024
- Wiley-Blackwell Encyclopedia of Globalization — no updates for 2024